Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A Pure Night of History.

"If there is anyone out there who still doubts that America is a place where all things are possible, who still wonders if the dream of our founders is alive in our time, who still questions the power of our democracy, tonight is your answer.
It's the answer told by lines that stretched around schools and churches in numbers this nation has never seen, by people who waited three hours and four hours, many for the first time in their lives, because they believed that this time must be different, that their voices could be that difference.
It's the answer spoken by young and old, rich and poor, Democrat and Republican, black, white, Hispanic, Asian, Native American, gay, straight, disabled and not disabled. Americans who sent a message to the world that we have never been just a collection of individuals or a collection of red states and blue states."

So many words that were uttered tonight hit home with me, growing up in a very not so "normal" family, and as a woman. Diversity has always been in my life, and I am happy to see the walls of diversity breaking down.
Tonight history was made, no matter your vote, no matter your opinion, our Nation has truly proven that no matter your differences, you can be what you want to be. We have come so far as a nation, no matter our up's and downs, we have evolved and developed. I am proud of both parties as this election was long and hard and fraught well.
I have always loved voting, but tonight in particular I beamed with joy to have my own hand in this election. I was a part of this. A part of history that now has opened so many doors for so many people.
On February 3rd, 1870 the 15th amendment was passed granting blacks the right to vote. 138 years later, we are a nation that opens its arms, and puts race aside to bring equality to the White House. My how far we have come.
God Bless To All. I leave you with one of the many parts of President Elect Obama's speech that made me open my eyes a little more.

"As Lincoln said to a nation far more divided than ours, we are not enemies but friends. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection."

No comments: