Saturday, October 18, 2008

Paper Route and Motherhood

I was thinking the other night...probably a little too much, but thinking non the less. In the 8th grade I got a paper route a month before school started. I got the paper route to help pay my way to Washington DC the following spring with my school. My paper route prepared me in many ways for my future in mother hood. Having my paper route taught me discipline, hard work and patience. I had to get up every morning and roll the papers, bag them up and haul my load down the road and through 6 blocks. The job was an everyday ordeal, holidays, weekends, through colds and the flu, sleepovers and special events. No matter what I HAD to get up and do my job. Much like motherhood. there is no rest, and no break. I had much help though through my paper route days. My wonderful Aunt Carrie got up with me and helped me out everyday as well. This act of kindness teaching me appreciation. The whole family would pitch in on holidays and we would take our pick up truck around the neighborhood to lighten my load. It really was fun times. I thankful for my crash course in responsibility, and what it takes to really stick with something no matter what.

No comments: